Monday, September 17, 2007

The art of making wontons

Making wonton soup was my alternative to the classic Aussie Sunday roast. Don't get me wrong I love roast on Sundays. But being an asian kid, growing up, you ate whatever your mum fed you, and in my case; instead of the meat and three veg, I had gingered beef with rice, and instead of apricot chicken, I had chicken red curry. So on most Sunday's Mum would made 'goi dieu' which is your Cambodian version of the Vietnamese 'pho'. A hot, steamy beef or chicken based broth infused with ginger, galangal, garlic and fish sauce to taste, ladled on a bowl of freshly strained rice or egg noodles, which had been sitting in a pot of bowling water only seconds before. The bowl of steaming noodle soup was then usually finished by chucking a few herbs of spring onions and coriander on top, with a touch condiments, like chillie sauce and lemon to your personal liking. So where does the wonton come in, you ask? Well, I discovered the delightful package of dumplings, during a birthday party. While the kids were stuffing their faces silly with lollies, chips, chocolate and the whatnots expected at a 10 year old's party - I was with the adults, consuming these little bundles of joy that were served in a small bowl with soup; not know what they were or what was in it, except that they tasted oh so good!
And that my friends, was the beginning of a beautiful relationship between me and wontons.

Making wontons is a beautiful art in which I have learnt to love and appreciate. Like ravioli, tortellini used in pasta dishes, you can make your wonton into many different shapes and use different fillings, such as pork, chicken, prawn, crab and lobster - I usually stick to chicken. They are also extremely versatile, as you can boil, steam, pan fry and deep fry them - they make fantastic appetisers at dinner parties.




Get your ingredients together...


Wonton Skins




Spring onions



add some fish & oyster sauces and ground some pepper to chicken mince

roll mixture into balls and place in middle of wonton wrapper





THE FOLDING



put mixture of chicken and ingredients mention above and fold into triangles using your index finger moistened with water to seal the sides




aren't they gorgeous, they look like stingrays on a chopping board..






bring the two ends of the triangle together using a dab of water to stick and then flick them up and you get a little boat



many moment laters of filling and folding you will have a bouquet of wontons..




And assuming you know how to make the broth and cook the wontons and noodles in boiling water, you will end up with something looking similar to this...






9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kimee,
Just finished a full day of slogging and logged on to see your latest rave, and oh how delightful! Your photos are to die for, and the food...just sublime. Any chance I'll get to taste the won tons or custard tartlets in the near future? Just readig about your won tons made me think of another great eating place - Bob's Kitchen in Glen Waverley. Aaah those dumplings have just the right constituency if you know what I mean: Firm, then yielding, then...poof it all just bursts in a mouthful of gingery juice, shallots and maybe some pork. Hmmm. A bit like sex, really. There you go, that's the pleasure of really good grub.

Ciao
J-ness

kimmy said...

Thanks J,
luv your description. Sex? Really? I think I'll have to give Bob's a try.

Invitation not needed...next time I do wontons I'll call round.

Anonymous said...

HI KIMMY SENG!!!

Your sooooo clever. I rekon a house warming dinner is in order when your settle into your new bacholoret pad!

Love

Gretski xxxx

Anonymous said...

To all out there reading this.
I can truly vouch for the Kimstar's Won Ton Suop, it is the best I have ever, ever eaten and I have been to a lot of Asian Restaraunts- believe me.
Now Kimmy if I pay you will you make me a pot so I can share the experience with my family.
In regard to your house warming I will not hold my breath to eat your soup then.

Luv Your Cooking Heaps but Luv Ya More. Kristina xxxx

kimmy said...

awwwh thanks grets...yes I have been planning the menu for my housewarming, now it's just a matter of getting into the darn house....

kimmy said...

KL I wouldn't go that far...I'm sure there are other good wonton soup places out there..but thank u! Just let me know when u're ready and I'll come over.

Anonymous said...

I would like to hire you to cook a dinner party for me for 6 people at my place. Your food looks scumptious. Please advise if you are available. You can cook anything you desire. You can even take photos of us all eating your creations and post them on your website.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. Kimmy. Won Tons. You have inspired me and I am most grateful! I have to try them all, pork and chicken and prawn, in soups, fried, steamed. Maybe a vegetarian style or sweet ones in a citrus sauce. I say again Oh! My God. I'll keep you posted.
Luv Amanda

kimmy said...

Anna,
Im not cheap!! but will consider it definitley
xx k


Amanda
Thanks, I'm glad that I've inspired you...yeah wonton frenzy welcome to my world. And yes do keep me posted

xxK