Saturday, October 6, 2007

Ultimate breakfast feast.....


On some occasions, not most, but some I have magic moments where I think, OMG Kim good one! My magic moment occured Thursday morning after perusing the wide world of web for recipes, mind you not for breakfast but for gyoza's - yes my stomach has no sense of self restraint to eating inappropriate foods during the assigned periods of a day in which certain foods should be consumed. If it were up to me Desert would replace Breakfast, Dinner would be in lunch's frame time and Happy Hour Drinks would be consumed at 5 hour interval throughout the day. Geez! Imagine that.. sorry got a bit side track. Back to the point, oh yes.. during my venture of searching for gyoza recipes I came across this website http://www.opensourcefood.com/ which has now become one of my favourites, as it is online hub, with food-loving people sharing gastronomical recipes and amazing photos. I came across one of the members, Yongfook. He had recipe for Shrimp Gyoza's & Pomegranate Ponzu which I have bookmarked, however intrigued by what this site was, I began to rumage through the rest of his impressive recipes and came across Light English Brunch. The dish was so cute and so simple so I made that morning with the crust and minus the mushrooms and this is how it turned out.



But wait! Where was the magic moment? You may ask. Well, after impressing my self with cooking Yongfook's recipe, I had 2 round pieces of bread left over (cos I made 2; one for myself & my sister - hence the reason for 2 pieces) and I don't like wasting food or anything for that matter, so I made a baked bean stack using the leftover bake beans and buttering the pieces of breading of both side and cooked on a pan on both sides until they turned golden brown. Once cooked I stacked them and using the bake beans as filling in between the two pieces of bread.

Magic Moment #1 recipe - bake beans stack
After taking the photos I realised that this would have been better if I had scrambled eggs around it with 2 strips of streaky bacon....oh drool! Unfortunately I ran out of eggs, had no bacon in my fridge, but I have drool...yes it comes naturally. hehe!

The second magic moment came after, magic moment #1, of course! And still riding on the success of the first recipe using the cut out pieces of bread, I thought to myself...hhmm what about a sweet breakfast! Ah ha, yes magic moment #2 was born by using another 2 pieces of cutout bread, I buttered both side and dipped them in a plate of sugar/cinnamon coating both sides and then once again toasted them in a heated pan until their was caramelised crust. Once again stacking them but in between each layers I dusted each pieces with icing sugar and spread strawberry jam and then finished it of with a dollop of ice cream. Oh god was it good.... They tasted like those Danish mini pancakes, I think we call it potterflies here. Next time I'll try it with fresh strawberries or bananas... oh yum, can't wait.

Magic Moment #2 recipe - Strawberry stack

2 comments:

Kajal@aapplemint said...

oh i used to love eating half fry in the middle of my toast as a kid ! Only thing is i used to eat the center as it is while the egg cooked :)
I like what you have done with the second one with sugar and cinnamon. Niice !

kimmy said...

Thank Kate
Yes i think i like the 2nd the best too.