Tuesday, November 13, 2007

5 minute mushies



My love of food that can be cooked in a flash, stems from my uni days as an impoverished uni student whose staple diet consisted of 2-minute noodles and grilled cheese sandwiches. OK, maybe I lied, as I was not that impoverished, thanks to my parents who provided a roof over my head during those years. However working in jobs and receiving minimal wages sucked when going out to eat with a group of friends and scrapping for money in the corner of your bag to pay the bills...oh and I won't mention the embrassment when it came to splitting the bill - I even think one time someone pulled out a calculator!...I say no more.

I love food and dishes that can be whipped up in minutes and this is one of them. Mushrooms are one of my favs, second to potatoes. Like potatoes, they are versatile, delicious and have an amazing texture unlike any other foods. And quite frankly they are the only fungus on this earth I would eat.


INGREDIENTS
500g swiss brown mushrooms
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
Approx. tbsp of each - oyster sauce, fish sauce & kecap manis
1/2 cup coarsely chopped coriander (cilantro)
white onion sliced in thin wedges
vegetable oil for frying

Slice mushrooms in thick pieces about 1cm. And heat the wok with oil.
Throw in onions and garlic and let it cook off for a minute, then add the mushrooms and stir frequently. The mushrooms will absorb the oil and when it's slight brown add the oyster, fish and kecap manis sauces and stir so mushrooms are well coated.
After a minute or so throw in the coriander and stir for few seconds. Turn off the heat and serve it with some rice.

Make sure you don't overcook the mushrooms it will lose it's texture.

No comments: