Saturday, April 26, 2008

Trio of appetisers - Part 2: Very, Very wicked spuds



I am guilty of revealing the secret of these wicked spuds or perhaps moreso hesitant to admitting that I like spuds cooked this way. It is not a method of cooking that I would always use when roasting potatoes, but one I would definitely consider to saviour on special occasions like Christmas, birthdays and dinner parties. It's not a new method of cooking as such, but perhaps or more sinful one because you are consuming more than the recommended amount of this certain 'bad' food group. Yes folks, I am talking about fat. Pork fat to be more precise. Before you cringe or depict a visual of image of lard being drizzled over wedges of potatoes, let me tell you, that was not to case. I had a craving for crackle! not the pork with the meat attached - just the skin! and I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and cook pork crackle and potatoes, so that's how it came about. I devoured the crackle as soon as it was done - OMG it was good! No photos were taken however, because what the stomach wants, the stomach will get.

So, with the aide of crackle, my spuds turned out wonderfully crisp and mushy on the inside, the way good roasted spuds should be. Ahhhh!



Ingredients

20 Small chat potatoes - skin on

strip of pork skin

Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Clean spuds, quarter them and then parboil them in a pot. Drain potatoes and lay on a baking tray and lightly season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Also put the strip of crackle.

Bung in the oven, and cook until golden brown. Be wary that the crackle may be ready before the potatoes, so take it out when it is done and leave the potatoes to cook until it's reached the colour.

Serve with sour cream & sweet chilli sauce or on it's own or as a side.

Part 3 - bacon wrapped jalapenos.....oooohhhh

No comments: